With summer right around the corner, you’re probably spending less time indoors and more time outside enjoying the improved weather. If you and your baby spend a lot of time on or near the water, the right life jacket should not be overlooked. They’re a crucial safety device that all parents should invest in. But finding the right one can be hard – there’s little debate in that.
Recently a reader sent me an email and was looking for advice on which life vest would be the best one for their baby. In response, I’ve spent a few hours researching the top rated choices of the year. Below you’ll find my discoveries and which one’s I recommend with a short review of each one. Take a look yourself and let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment below.
O’Neill Infant Nylon USCG Vest
- The O’Neill Infant Nylon USCG Vest is a very popular choice that features color options that are suitable for either gender, with the comfort you expect from a top rated life jacket.
- United States Coast Guard Approved. It’s suitable for using on boats, commercial vessels, near the shoreline, or while playing in the water. In fact, it’s been strength impact tested to withstand 50mph forces – great for inner tubing or water skiing.
- With the quick release Delrin buckles and an adjustable belt between the legs, it’s easy to acquire a custom-like fit that will provide the right feel for hours to come. Perfect for those long days on the water.
- Made out of very durable material with nylon panels that are backed with rigid PVC to improve the ease of use while putting it on. Plus, this material provides Ultraviolet protection from the harmful sun rays.
- The perfect fit for babies. In fact, it has a snug fit but doesn’t excessively rub in certain areas to cause irritation.
- Uses USCG and ULC approved colsed cell PVC to give it the ability to float. This material won’t lose it’s buoyancy as time goes on – it’s designed to stay afloat for the life of the vest.
Speedo Kid’s UV Neoprene Swim Vest
- The Speedo Kid’s UV Neoprene Swim Vest is the perfect aid if you’d like to invest in a life jacket that keeps your child floating while teaching them to swim on their own. It’s a “level 2” which is ideal for children who are already familiar with the water, but still need the dependability of flotation.
- Specifically built with a low-profile design that’s less bulky than your standard flotation vest. This provides much better mobility, while still having enough security and comfort.
- Easy to put on and take off. Zips right up the front middle and has a buckled strap that goes under the legs.
- Blocks harmful sun radiation. UVA and UVB protection 50+ for plenty of shielding against those hot summer days.
- Available in either Medium or Large and comes in either Blue or Pink. Perfect choices for either boys or girls.
- Affordable price starting at under $20.
Stearns Infant Classic Boating Vest
- Another great choice is the Stearns Infant Classic Boating Vest. It provides both safety and security while keeping any child under 30 lbs. as safe as possible in the water.
- With the durable nylon construction, you can expect it to last for several years to come. In fact, many use it for their second child after their first one grows out of it.
- Secure 1 inch webbing is fully adjustable thanks to it’s buckled design. It’s easy to adjust and get the proper fit without much effort.
- Each side is opened. This is nice for those warm days where your child may not feel like wearing a vest that completely covers their body. This provides a bit more breathability and flexibility than the other two listed above.
- Center leg strap keeps it from riding up too high on their torso. This is a common issue with other designs that wasn’t overlooked in the manufacturing process.
- Handle for the parent’s hand located behind the neck. This gives you easy access to lift and move your little one when the time is needed.
- Comes available in either Small or Medium and in Blue or Red.
Kent Infant Full Throttle Baby Safe Vest
- The uniquely designed Kent Infant Full Throttle Baby Safe Vest is perfect for infants that weigh less than 30 lbs. Ideal for active baby’s who love to play in or around the water.
- Very easy to put on. The collar has an adjustable buckle and each leg strap is made out of elastic for a snug but comfy fit.
- Large collar is designed to provide ample head and neck support while floating. It almost seems to act as a head rest that props their head above the water to make certain it isn’t submerged.
- A single waist belt with a buckle is all it takes to ensure a snug fit. Some brands have 3-4 buckles, this one has a total of two – making adjustments much easier and less finicky than ever before.
- United States Coast Guard Approved. It’s a type 2 that will give you peace of mind knowing it’s safe.
- Bright orange color stands out so that you’ll never lose sight of your little one.
- Affordable and ships for free. It won’t break the bank!